Congratulations to our Better Seniors' Care contest winners
The Ontario Long Term Care Association has been advocating hard to make long-term care a priority in the Ontario government's spring budget. As part of this advocacy work, we've asked you to engage your staff, residents, families and community to write letters to government representatives through BetterSeniorsCare.ca. To provide an extra incentive we turned this advocacy work into a contest.
With the release of the Ontario Budget last Thursday, April 23, the letter-writing contest was officially closed. We saw a great level of engagement from our homes and are pleased to say that more than 12,250 letters were sent during the contest period!
It is with excitement that we are now able to share our winners of each category:
Category 1: Homes with 1-79 beds
1. Manitoulin Lodge with 779 letters (Gore Bay)
2. Frost Manor with 284 letters (Lindsay)
3. Extendicare Kawartha Lakes with 112 letters (Lindsay)
Category 2: Homes with 80-132 beds
1. Meadow Park London with 944 letters (London)
2. Villa Care Centre with 886 letters (Midland)
3. St. Andrew's Terrace with 780 letters (Cambridge)
Category 3: Homes with 133 beds and above
1. Westmount Gardens with 1169 letters (London - also the highest overall!)
2. Garden Terrace with 516 letters (Kanata)
3. Lanark Heights with 501 letters (Kitchener)
Congratulations to all of you! This means that your home's Residents' Council will be awarded a prize to be used toward an item or service that will enhance the quality of life for your residents. We could not be prouder to issue prizes that will be used toward this goal.
We are also very pleased to share these stories from a few of our winning homes:
- Frost Manor wins prize in OLTCA letter-writing contest
- OLTCA Better Seniors Care Campaign: Jarlette Long Term Care Homes Send Over 4,800 Letters to Local MPPs
We would like to thank ALL of our home staff, residents, families and your communities for all of the effort you put into helping us make change happen. And although the Budget has been released and the contest has officially closed, BetterSeniorsCare.ca, the letter-writing campaign and our advocacy work continue year-round. I encourage you to continue to promote the website and letter-writing campaign in your home.