Humber Valley Terrace celebrates week in honour of Black History Month
Revera's Humber Valley Terrace celebrated the Toronto long-term care home’s diversity February 22-26, 2016, with a string of events in honour of Black History Month.
Not only were the events a way to promote diversity to residents, it was also a good way to celebrate the many people of African descent who work at Humber Valley Terrace, says recreation manager Emily Raguro Viray.
“The staff in Humber Valley Terrace’s recreation department entertained the residents with a spectacular one-week event full of rich history for Black History Month,” she says. “The residents were engaged with ethnic entertainment such as folklore, food, cultural displays, drumming and dancing, a fashion show, and steel-pan music.”
Viray adds that events celebrating diversity at the Revera long-term care home enhance morale for all staff members.
The events brought together cultural aspects from Africa, North America and the Caribbean:
- On the Monday there was a display corner set up at the home with artifacts, paintings, inventions and pictures.
- The Tuesday included Motown music and a discussion and trivia about Motown artists.
- Wednesday was dedicated to movies and Caribbean fruits were brought in for residents to sample. In fact, one resident commented on how the fruit reminded them of their childhood.
- On Thursday the kitchen staff prepared African and Caribbean food which was served to staff on all shifts as well as visitors.
- Staff modelled fashions popular in Africa and the Caribbean on Friday. The fashion show was accompanied by an entertainer playing a steel-pan drum.
Viray credits Humber Valley Terrace’s staff members for their hard work to make the week enjoyable for all.
In photo: Staff from Humber Valley Terrace model fashions popular in Africa and the Caribbean for residents.
“Our staff worked hard and gave their 100 per cent to make (it) a fun event for staff, visitors, and our residents,” she says.
“I saw the joy and happiness amongst the staff and unity of working together.”